Shopping for the outdoorsman and sportsman is hard. We’re all very particular in what we like, and it seems like we’ve already got everything. To make things a little easier on you this holiday season, we’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite stuff that we use and the anglers and sportsmen of your life will be drooling over.
- Umpqua UPG Fly Boxes – we’ve been carrying these boxes for around 6 months in multiple models. The TPE insert is similar to the tacky silicone inserts, but more durable and with better layouts. They come in multiple colors but with see-through lids so you can color coordinate your boxes for different purposes but still know what flies are in them without opening. We carry three models:
- Midge LT – this is your tailwater box. It has three tiers of organization: one magnet section that I use for size 18 and smaller flies, a bigger, slotted TPE section for my size 6-12 stonefly nymphs and big dries, and a medium slotted TPE section for all my 10-16 dries and nymphs.
- Standard LT – This one is the all around box. I use this box for 10-16 nymphs primarily, but it will do it all. I would choose this box if I were to only have one fly box.
- Walkabout HD – This box is a beast: waterproof, floating, two double-sided leaflets, and enough room to consolidate 4 fly boxes in one. This one is for the person that likes to bring everything and then some. It also makes for a great box for the boat bag – no more rattling through boxes to find the one you want.
- Orvis Clearwater Fly Rods – Coming in at a smooth $200, we probably sell more of these rods for beginner set ups, first saltwater/striped bass rod, and back up rods than any other. This series of rods was redesigned recently and comes in a wide range of rod weights so you can find one that fits your targeted species.
- Renzetti Traveler Tying Vise – All of us at the shop tie on Renzetti tying vises, and all of the shop vises are Travelers. Whether you’re just getting started into tying, or you’re an expert, this vise will get it done. I’ve personally tied size 22 midges on the same set of jaws that I’ve used for 6/0 saltwater hooks, and still have had zero failures after 5 years and thousands of flies. The shop vises and Conner’s vise have been around almost twice as long, still with no issues.
- RiverSmith River Quiver Rooftop Rod Carrier – We fish a lot of different rod set ups depending on what the target species and technique of the day calls for, which means putting together and taking apart rods every time we hit the water. Rooftop Rod Carriers completely eliminate the need to pack up every time, but more importantly for us, RiverSmith River Quivers will fit both a striper 10 weight rig as well as a mountain trout 3 weight rig. We stock the 4 rod size, and that comes in handy for the guys that like to float and fish with buddies as well as the wade angler.
- Simms Guide Shirt Jacket – If you like flannel and puffy jackets, this will be a new favorite. Primaloft Insulation that stays warm when wet, hand warmer pockets, and casual enough to double as a great around-town jacket – what’s not to like?
- Fishpond Dakota Bag – This bag is probably one of our most popular due to the fact that you can load it down with rods, reels, terminal tackle, camera gear, etc. and still fit in an overhead compartment when traveling. Even if you aren’t traveling by plane, the Dakota bag is a great organization system for the back seat of your vehicle.
Both shops are going to be running some black friday deals in store only, and if you’re in the market for a new setup you aren’t gonna find a better deal. In Cartersville, we’re going to have 30% off select premium fly rods, 25% off all Simms, Patagonia, and Mountain Khaki Apparel, and we’re going to be running a promotion for free fly line and backing with any fly rod and reel purchase. In Blue Ridge, we’re going to be running the same promotion of free fly line/backing with and fly rod and reel purchase as well as 30% off select premium fly rods. I’m not going to be posting a fishing report this week as I’ll be too busy stuffing my face with turkey.
From all of us at Cohutta, Happy Thanksgiving!
Cartersville: (770) 606-1100
Blue Ridge: (706) 946-3044